Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Boete-Bessie-Briekdance!


Technology has come to play a huge part in our everyday lives. That is all good and well but there is one particular facet where it doesn’t work in my favor at all. I’m talking about the fact that the Johannesburg Traffic Department have also evolved into a more technologically advanced institution and is now quite diligent in keeping you accountable for any ludicrous outstanding traffic offences.

Last week, in a moment of pure courage, I sms’d my id number to that service where you receive a return sms stating the amount of outstanding fines on your name. I was shocked to the bone to discover that for some bizarre reason my car has been moving around Gauteng above the speed limit over the past six months and that there are a few outstanding tickets waiting for payment. I realized that there might be a correlation between this sms and the fact that my car’s glove compartment closes with effort these days

My first plan was to pretend I work in the IT department and just ignore the problem and expect it to go away by itself, but then I was informed last night that these days the traffic department prevent you from renewing your vehicles license if there are any outstanding fines on it. There goes plan A.

Plan B was to practice my “sorry face” and go and ask for forgiveness at the magistrate but then I figured that with one fine I might have managed to get away with an Egoli performance especially if I manage to shed a tear as well, but with six fines for speeding and one for talking on a cell phone I might struggle to convince a magistrate that I am the victim in this whole story.

So plan C is to face the music, I suppose I have to just find the courage and go to the Sandton Traffic Department with my cheque book and ask the sweet lady to ring it all up and get it over with. Therefore I’m starting a fundraiser as from today, so for my colleagues the piggy bank on my desk is for any loose change…..
and I need lots of it to get to R1700+ . . . .

No comments: