Thursday, July 5, 2007

My final curtain call

Tomorrow will be my last day as an employee of Barloworld Optimus which is most definitely going to be a sad day in my life therefore I’ve decided to work on my goodbye message on the blog today already as tomorrow will be a busy day with one farewell function after the other, movie premiers and after parties.

I thought long and hard about what I want to say in this post as this is actually a very emotional event as I don’t just leave behind colleagues, but rather a bunch of friends. This does make it slightly easier considering the fact that this is most definitely not good bye, as you will see and hear from me regularly, and those who have come to know me well would know that you don’t get rid of me that easily.

As I look back over the past year and a half, a lot has changed since I joined the team. The faces around my desk has changed, some people moved on, others joined the party, but at all times I felt like I was part of a family. We worked hard late nights together and we played hard late nights together, memories I will always cherish. I enjoyed working with you all, and I learnt so much from each of you. I would however like to point out a few individuals whom I feel deserve a special thanks.

I want to start of with Dawie, we come a long way, longer than anyone else at IO. Since varsity you’ve always been the life of a party. We became good friends in the process and this must continue in future. We will continue to boogie until early Sunday mornings in Boston T and the likes. These are time , like the occasions in Cape Town I will always remember.

Little Johnny, better known as John T Nelson. When you first joined 1 May 2006 I never imagined you to be the person you are. I can honestly say you are one of the most fascinating people I got to know. Your sense of humor is exceptional and I always enjoy the latest trick up your sleeve. We must definitely keep the existence of Team Rock, Paper and Scissors, as well as team Firebird alive, and I sincerely hope that we will remain good friends after my departure from behind your chair.

Harry, officially known as Gerhardus. Considering the short time we’ve known each other I thing we became very good friends, and therefore I’m confident that we will remain friends in future. Good luck with all the clients you took over from me, I know they are in good hands, oh ja and now at last you can have my pc although I don’t know if you really want it. Staan sterk bloubul!

Riaan, getting up at 5am in the morning and arriving at the office at 6am was made easy by the fact that I was not the only one, oh ja and then you moved to Jhb, verraaier!! You were always on my speed dial for whenever I needed assistance and you were always more than willing to help. We also became very good friends over the thousands of cups of coffee we drank over the past year and a half. Do keep in touch even if you abandon ship by immigrating to the kangaroo country.

Zeurika, we endured a lot together on the project, and through the suffering became very good friends. Even though we sometimes had a lot to cry about, we always managed to laugh about it. I know I leave my project in very good hands and I know you will reach those targets.

If I carry one naming special people by the name, I will sit here typing until I’m no longer employed. To the whole team, I had the time of my life and I walk away with a tear in my eye but with a lot of knowledge and a dozen of friends.

Barloworld Optimus I greet you.

No comments: